2006 Canada Memorial Tour


Chehalis, Washington

Camano Island State Park, Washington

Seattle, Washington

Vancouver Island

Canadian Rockies

International Peace Gardens

July 4 on the lake, Minnesota

Cumbres & Toltec Railroad


My stuff...

* Home
* Life?
* My Work
* 2012 366 Project
* 2011 365 Project
* Vacations
* June 21, 2008
* Honeymoon
* '07 East Coast
* '06 Memorial Tour
* Boliva
* Meet Me
* Contact

After my first wife died on May 6, 2006, I decided to take my son and go on a memorial tour back to her home town of Red Deed, Alberta, Canada. We left early Saturday, June 17, and headed north.

Our first stop was at Yreka, California.

We had dinner at a place called the Black Bear Diner.

Sunday, we stopped at Chehalis, Washington, for a ride on the Chehalis & Centralia Railroad. Click here for pictures.

We spent the first week at a retreat center near Warm Beach, Washington, at our national church conference. We took off one day for a drive and ended up at Camano Island State Park on Camano Island in the Puget Sound. Click here for pictures.

We spent Saturday, June 24, bumming around Seattle, Washington. Click here for pictures.

We caught the early ferry from Anacortes, WA, to Vancouver Island on Sunday, June 25, and spent the day at Butchart Gardens and Victoria, BC. Click here for pictures.

Monday morning, June 26, saw us back across the sound to mainland British Columbia, Canada. We took the "short cut" through the Rockies, staying on Highway 1 instead of taking the bypass. We enjoyed a much more scenic drive and got to do some train watching along the way. Tuesday we stopped at Lake Louise and spent an hour canoeing. Click here for pictures.

We arrived in Red Deer, Alberta, on Tuesday evening, June 27. We spent the next few days, through July 1, visiting with my late wife's family--nieces, nephews, sister, brother--and other friends in the area.

This is the only picture we took--don't know what happened to our photog those days--the day we visited with my late wife's sister and one of her daughters.

July 2 we scooted across Saskatchewan and most of Manitoba to spend the evening with friends. July 3 took us back into the US via Boissevain, Manitoba--the home of Tommy the Turtle--and the International Peace Gardens. We had lunch at a cafe at the geographical center of North America, Rugby, North Dakota. For pictures, click here.

We arrived late July 3 at the "cabin" on a lake north of Bemidji, MN, to spend the night and next day with my youngest sister and her family. They took us out fishing on July 4. We caught enough to have a taste of Minnesota fish for supper. For pictures, click here.

Wednesday, July 5, we headed for Minneapolis where we spent the next week visiting my daughter and other sisters. We were sent on a highway construction detour along the way and came across Paul Bunyon. Since we had decided by now that we were becoming quintesencial tourists, we had to stop and take a picture.

We left Minneapolis on Monday, July 10, and headed to Boscobel, Wisconsin, where we visited a childhood friend I had not seen since 1973.

It must have been the Wisconsin cheese that lured us to the trap of this tourist photo op in the rain as we left town on Tuesday morning.

We spent the next night in North Platte, NE, and then headed south to Alamosa, Colorado, where we stayed two nights. We enjoyed the railfan highlight of our trip on Thursday, July 13, as we took the 64 mile train ride from Chama, New Mexico, to Antonito, Colorado, aboard the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad. My pictures are posted here.

We were tripped out by this time, but we made one last tourist stop at the botanical gardens in Albuquerque, New Mexico, to see the garden train layout. The lure of the dragon in the fantasy garden was more than we could resist as you will see from the pictures which are posted here.

We spent Friday evening, July 14, with a very good family friend in Mesa, Arizona, and arrived home, tired but satisfied, on Saturday, July 15.